Saturday, June 9, 2007

QB Culpepper Requests Release


Miami QB Daunte Culpepper delivered a letter to coach Cam Cameron and general manager Randy Mueller, in which he ''aggressively'' asked to be released, Culpepper said Thursday.

As a result, Culpepper has been given permission to speak to other teams as a way to help market himself. ''I feel it is necessary to obtain a release rather than seek a trade so that I would not bring the excess baggage of my present contract to a new team,'' Culpepper said in an e-mail. ''I feel like my next team should have the opportunity to get to know me as a man and a player before they make any long-term commitment. ''Even though it is frustrating, I had prepared myself for the possibility that I would not be given an opportunity to compete here since the week before this year's NFL Draft. At that time it became obvious to me that my desire to compete would not trump established relationships.'' Culpepper also criticized the organization for its ''impatience'' in forcing him to play too soon last season -- as well as forcing him out of the organization before giving him a chance. ''I must say the impatience the organization displayed in both encouraging me to rush back on the field last year and then rushing me out the door this year is disappointing,'' Culpepper said. ''However, I understand that they have the right to make that business decision. It is now my turn to make some decisions.''

No comments: